Friday 7 August 2015

Table & Chairs - The Beginning

When I first found Wiccah, my sole focus was Barbie.  I didn’t know about American Girl, Maplea, Journey Girls or Our Generation dolls.  Needless to say I didn’t know about Teen Trend dolls or what was available for clothes, furniture or accessories.  This was a true adventure into the world of larger dolls for me.

When I began to make furniture for Wiccah the first pieces I made were her table and chairs.  I’m a balanced sort of girl so I had to have 2 chairs. 

Making them was a lot of fun.  I had an idea in my head and armed with a crocheting hook, some white wool, quilt batting, beads, foamcore and a memo nail I went to work.

I made the table first.  I cut the foamcore into a round disk the size I wanted the table top to be.  I measured the height for the beads as the pillar of the table and glued them together and put them on the memo nail as the base.  With the memo nail table in front of me, I crocheted the table cloth to the size of the foamcore tabletop and then another to cover the base of the memo nail.  The pictures below will give you an idea of how the table was constructed.  (The tabletop is upside down in the picture below)
 

To make the chairs I measured and cut 2 pieces of foamcore for the seat and back of the chair and glued them with the back in a slight angle backward.  I padded the chair pieces with a layer of quilt batting.  With that part complete, I crocheted a sleeve and slid it over the chair seat and then carefully crocheted it closed.  I had intended to put some kind of edging around to give the chairs a bit of contrast or color but it never happened. (hmmm)

Using wooden beads as the legs of the chairs, I used nails and pushed them through the foamcore and glued them inside the wooden beads.  The legs are not as steady as I would have liked but at the time it worked well enough to use for my doll.  The legs are a little wobbly because the beads are against the crocheted and padded wool sleeve and not against the foamcore on this first design.
I like the look of the table and chair set but I think that if I were to make something like it again, I would figure out a better way to attach the chair legs.

So goes the first attempt at making furniture for my girls.  I have a long way to go to making the “perfect” chair! (grin)  Onward and upward!

As always, let kindness and positive energy
fill your mind, body and soul.

Blessed Be, My Friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment